Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Rummy Redux



Don Rumsfeld will not resign:

You cannot make me leave my job.
You cannot make me; I am top.
You cannot make me stop this war.
You cannot make me; you're a bore.
You cannot make me change my mind.
You cannot make me; I am fine.
You cannot make me quit and go.
You cannot make me; George says so.

Neener-neener!

Not very grown-up from me, but then George isn't much better:

Asked on Tuesday how he would respond to critics who equate his defence of Mr Rumsfeld with ignoring the military, Mr Bush said: "I'm the decider and I decide what is best. And what's best is for Don Rumsfeld to remain as the secretary of defence."

Reminds me of those t-shirts which say "Because I'm the mummy, that's why." Or the daddy in this case, perhaps.

The more adult and interesting question is why Rumsfeld has bothered to wage a public propaganda war against the retired generals who asked for his resignation. Usually administration officials ignore such criticism. Maybe Rummie is hanging on with the skin of his teeth. I always liked that: "skin of his teeth".