Thursday, August 14, 2008

Weight & health (by Suzie)



         I count fat as a feminist issue because there are so many messages in society that pressure girls and women to be as skinny as possible. That’s why I was happy to see this article, which says:
A new study suggests that a surprising number of overweight people - about half - have normal blood pressure and cholesterol levels, while an equally startling number of trim people suffer from some of the ills associated with obesity.
         Unfortunately, the article began with the idea that only “trim people” “can look great in a swimsuit.”
         My mother, who was “trim” into her 80s, had high cholesterol and died of a heart attack. Thanks to genetics, I had high cholesterol even when I was thin. I wish more people understood that thinness does not guarantee health.