Monday, February 09, 2009

Obama's News Conference



Did you watch it? I thought he did fairly well, and I enjoyed hearing 'nuclear' pronounced correctly, mean-spirited as I am. What's rather shocking to me is the large numbers of people who appear not to understand that the stimulus package is not the same thing as giving Wall Street more bailout money. If anybody is getting bailed out in the stimulus bill it is the state governments to some extent, and that's a very important thing to do. In its absence the rapid contraction of state level spending will exacerbate the economic problems and hurt the most vulnerable people first.

I'm not sold on Obama's desire for bipartisanship, because it takes two to tango and because the Republican definition of bipartisanship appears to be getting their own way on everything.