Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Some Good News

This:

It was a rough election night -- for democrats, for female politicians -- but it would have been profoundly worse if Colorado's "personhood" initiative had passed. Instead, it was rejected by a 3-to-1 margin -- the same margin that brought a similar measure defeat in 2008. This means that constitutional human rights will not be extended to "the beginning of the biological development," nor will Amendment 62 be allowed to restrict emergency contraception, fertility treatments and even treatments for miscarriages.
Not that I ever thought it would pass. Indeed, that one third fourth of the voters were willing to consider me as an aquarium for potential Embryo Americans is rather frightening. But I take my good news where I can find them.

More tomorrow on the impact of the elections on that endangered species: female US politicians.